This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
Spicy mussels in tomato sauce, it is an ideal dish to serve as a starter, tapas or aperitif, in celebrations or special days to stimulate our palates. Because it is healthy, cheap, rich and versatile to any gastronomic requirement. If your goal is to surprise and amaze your guests, mussels are your best option.
- 1 Kg of black mussels
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1/2 Kg of fresh tomato
- 1 Chili or more
- 1/2 tablespoon of hot sauce
- 50 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Rub off any debris like seaweed, barnacles, sand or mud spots that could be on the shell.
- Put in a steamed pot.
- Check to see if most of the shells have opened
- Take off half of each shell and discard and reserve the half with the meat attached
- Strain the liquid into a saucepan to use for the spicy sauce
- Chop the onion and sweat it with a drizzle of oil along with the green pepper.
- Season to taste and sweat.
- Chop the tomatoes and add them.
- Add the chilli (cayenne), 1/2 tablespoon of tabasco, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and another half of sugar.
- Let simmer over medium heat from 30 to 40 min.
- Add the broth resulting from opening the mussels and mix it well.
- Reduce the sauce to medium heat for another 4 to 5 minutes to thicken it and increase the intensity of the flavor.
- Add the mussels to the sauce very carefully, leave another 2 minutes to marry the two flavors and remove from the heat.
- Serve the mussels with the spicy tomato sauce and a good bread.
¡Y voilà ! Bon appétit !
Not only delicious, mussels are also very healthy and have great nutritional values. Mussels are an excellent source of iron to prevent the most common form of anemia. They also contain antioxidants such as vitamin C and their phosphorus helps to take care of bones and teeth. In addition, it is a recipe that can be adapted to your weight loss plan. However, many people do not include it in their diets.